Thursday, June 12, 2014

Making it rain...

This was my yearbook picture Junior year...


Well that sucked...

Wednesday nights are a very cool night for me. Im privileged to host a mountain bike-cycle social ride at Francis Beatty Park in Matthews, NC and I very much look forward to it all week. I even somehow managed to procure a sponsor for these rides in the form of Ultimate Bicycle of Matthews. A couple years ago I convinced owner, and occasional social ride attendee, Mike Perry to give me free stuff to give away at the rides. In return I would promote his shop and all the great work they do there.

It was a solid thing for him to do and I enjoy speaking of the awesomeness that is Ultimate.

So after riding Tuesday night at the Mutt's Tuesday Night Social, I was super jazzed to ride tonight at Beatty. Well Momma Nature had other plans. About halfway to the trail the skies opened she made it rain all over SW Union County.



So around I turned and headed back to the Hizzy. Sitting there watching the rain  feeling like a prom date who got stood up at the last minute... all dressed up and nowhere to go.

A dark mood fell over the house and I made a decision, a very bad decision. A decision that is every bike-cycle enthusiasts worst moment...

I decided to ride my trainer.

Looks like awesome fun right!?!?


Bike trainers are like non-alcoholic beer, turkey bacon, vegetarian hot dogs, fat free ranch dressing, or any other thing that pretends to be something good but invariably sucks...Almost not even worth it but when your desperate you do crazy things.

My trainer is un-affectionately named "The Machine". Much like that character in 8mm.

Nicholas Cage has a massive nose...

So I rode the trainer for about an hour. Afterward I drank a damn beer and took a cold shower to wash off the shame and humiliation. 

Trainers can give you one hell of a workout if you try. They're useful if your training for a race snd cant find time to ride outside (which I was when I got the thing) but they really really really suck...doing intervals while watching PTI isnt very motivating and using a trainer is only one rung above doing nothing at all...

Hopefully that will be the last time I break out "The Machine" for a while.

In Future Wife news...

She is almost done with her job for the year. For her this means a Summer of sleeping in until 10am, relaxing in the hammock eating bon bons, and hanging out with The Bear and The Goose all day...

But not really... She has landed the dream job of being a sales associate at REI. REI has a stellar reputation for being a great place to work and they treat their employees very well. This also means a hefty discount on gear for the two of us (and even the dogs haha).

FW has officially donned the green vest and will spend the summer helping people get outside and enjoy our awesome mountain adventure-paradise-land o' milk and honey...

Im not sure if she's required to have "flair" on said vest but it wouldn't hurt sales I'm sure...


So Congrats to her for completing another year working in the NC Public Education System.

The plan tomorrow, since trails will be closed due "wet conditions", is to do a "real" road ride around the booming metropolis of Mineral Springs, NC. aka "Miserable Springs"

Folks please...try to contain your excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment